BEST TWO YEARS

BEST TWO YEARS

Monday, February 3, 2014

Email sent February 3, 2014: "Storm of the Century"

Oh yeah we had the "Storm of the Century" down here in Georgia. On Tuesday morning we had a call from President Wolfert telling us that we would have to be back in our apartments at noon and then back out on foot for the rest of the day. Then around 2pm the Zone Leaders called us back in since there were so many freakin accidents happening in the streets. So we spent the rest of Tuesday indoors...bored as heck. Elder Mayo and I played RISK for 4 hours to try and kill some time, but 2 person RISK isn't all that fun hahaha. The next day we got another call from President Wolfert saying "Elders and Sisters, people are trapped in their homes and cannot leave. This is a great opportunity to go share the gospel with them since they can't go anywhere else!"  So that's what we did. We went on foot the whole day and it was hilarious. There were people running to the QuikTrip gas station and getting groceries, people walking everywhere, cars just abandoned in the streets since they couldn't get up hills or driveways. Some of the cars had huge bashes in them from sliding around into each other or curbs or signs.  Everyone bascially just gave up for a day. I'm just getting ready for Noah to make fun of me. He bikes around in Denmark in about 3 feet of snow every day and that's required! We had 2 1/2 inches and the whole state shut down. So we went out and taught some lessons. We found a new family of investigators and they seem pretty cool. We weren't able to get back in with them at the end of last week which was a little disapointing, but we're going to keep stopping by this week.
 
Other than that things are going pretty good here in Georgia. It's supposed to be 60 degrees most of this week with some light showers and then they say we should get another snow day with 7 inches next week or later this week. I can't imagine what that will be like.  Oh yeah, this was a funny moment as well. Elder Mayo and I walked to get lunch on Tuesday right when it started snowing. We were watching the news at the sandwich shop and the weather people had a little ruler and were measuring the snow saying, "We've already got half an inch!!!!" to which I replied. "You know, in Utah they use a yard stick to measure the snow...." We had a good laugh about that.
 
The work is going pretty good.  We've had some trouble getting back in with some people, but we're keeping our hopes high. Elder Mayo is very good at keeping his calm and not getting over stressed. We're still working hard and we're finding people every day to keep teaching. We've got some investigators that are progressing, but it's shaky. We've got some good plans for them to help them progress, but you know--agency.  Elder Chilcote and Elder Long in Johns Creek had the first investigator from their area at church in over 6 months. Johns Creek is sort of a gray area for Spanish missionaries. But they're really picking things up. The rest of the district is doing amaznig as well!  The branch just did our missionary goals for the year. They're pretty lofty. They want to have 2 baptismal services a month. For a branch that had only 10 convert baptisms in a year and six coming from Elder Galvez, Elder Mayo and myself in the past 5 months, they've got some work to do.  They all seemed really focused and willing to help. We just had Stake Conference where the whole emphasis was missionary work and "Hastening the Work". The Church News that we just received is all about "Hastening the Work" as well. I love the enthusiasm the church has.
 
I've got about 3 weeks until I'll most likely leave Peachtree Spanish. One of the other missionaries that Elder Galvez trained (My missionary brother) called us yesterday looking for a referral. He says that he's predicting that we'll just switch spots, me to Gainsville, him to Peachtree. I'm pretty sure I'm going to Marietta, Georgia. But I'm not really counting my eggs before they hatch. I'm kind of just taking the stance of, "Whatever happens, I'll be cool."
 
We also had an hour period yesterday where we didn't have anything going on so we went to the local Hispanic Catholic Church as well for about 20 minutes. It was.... well I've never been to a Catholic Mass before, but it pretty much fit what I had imagined in my head. Lots of repeated prayers, lots of people standing and then sitting down. To be honest we stook out like a sore thumb. We understood everything that the Father was saying, we were just the only white people there.... So we were getting some funny looks hahaha
 
I'm certainly warm here with my coat and those hand warmers! Don't worry about me, I'm pretty good here :) Love you all so much!
 
Love,
Elder Rodabough the second
 
 
 
 
I have finally eaten a corn on the cob on a stick (and you all know how much I love corn...said sarcastically).  I am now officially a real Spanish speaking missionary. 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment