BEST TWO YEARS

BEST TWO YEARS

Friday, July 17, 2015

Email sent July 13, 2015: "Speakin' Dat Spanish"

Hey folks,
So seriously I only speak Spanish now. It's been rough a little bit but after about 3 days I've had some serious come to the light language moments. Elder Hernandez is my new companion. I think he's the first companion that I've had who is shorter than me. So that's been fun. He's also really affectionate... like, a lot--lots of hugs hahaha! I don't mind but it's just like a 180 degrees different from Elder Swingler that I'm sometimes a little shocked.

But overall this week we saw some serious miracles. So we met a new investigator last week named Francisco. He's from Venezuela and he's been here since March. Well he's accepting the Gospel super well and came to church yesterday! Afterwords, a family from Venezuela invited him to our dinner and they cooked some traditional Venezuelan food. He was super grateful. But the funny part was that we sang a hymn in Sacrament Meeting about how the people in Zion are happy for keeping the Word of Wisdom. After the hymn Francisco was like, "What the heck is this?" Like literally he turned and said that to me in the meeting haha. So we taught him the Word of Wisdom and it was a super powerful lesson. The spirit was super strong. We really think he can be baptized before I head home. We won't push him to, but we really think he can. 

We also had a super spiritual lesson with this guy named Oscar. He's a past investigator that had been taught a ton and had a baptismal date but fell off for some reason. We stopped by and he let us right in. Almost immediately started telling us how stupid we are for believing in Joseph Smith and that the Book of Mormon is a load of... well... he used a pretty negative word. But randomly at the end of his rant he said that he still wanted us to come by and read the Bible with him. Elder Hernandez and I sat there for a second and then I told him that he doesn't understand why we pass by. He started to tell us that yeah he understood, but I interrupted him and said that he didn't. Then we taught him about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. It was so amazing to see the change in him as we taught and testified. Elder Hernandez teaches so well for the time that he has in the mission. We could literally see the spirit working upon Oscar as we taught him. We left and he said he would read and pray to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet and if the Book of Mormon is true. 

I'm so excited to be with Elder Hernandez. He's so humble and he has such a desire to work. I'm happy for how my 5 weeks will go :) 

Sounds like everyone has some good things going for them! The house is almost finished, people are healthy or getting even healthier. I love you all :)

Love,
Elder Rodabough

No comments:

Post a Comment